Friday, February 6, 2009

Whale Watching



One of my favorite adventures while in Hawaii is Whale watching!

On a cloudy rainy day Amy, Connie's and Sue's families as well as Ben and I ventured to Buzz's Wharf to embark on a whale watching tour...what a blast.



Our tour was through the Pacific Whale Watching Foundation; on board was a marine biologist who was very knowledgeable and shared so much information. I loved it. I love to hear all about the whales, the way they eat, migrate and take care of their young.

This plaque shows just a bit of what the whale does...amazing.
















While out on the water our boat was treated to some amazing whales. We saw whales head slap, tail slap, head raises, fin slap and best of all breach!

To see a whale propel 2/3 (or more) of their body out of the water is AMAZING! It is indescribable. The event happens so quickly and it has everyone who sees it pointing and yelling...one of the most amazing things to witness. The splash that accompanies the breach is also amazing. Like I mentioned before...a whale watching trip is indescribable...I would strongly encourage you to go whale watching if ever given the opportunity.

In the picture below you can see a tail and fin...sorry it isn't closer...my camera doesn't zoom too well.





No comments: