Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Lil' H is one year old

I cannot believe how fast time can go...Hailey is one year old. This past year has been the best we have ever experienced...of course it hasn't passed too easily. We have learned what it means to love a child, what (involuntary) sleepless nights feel like, the panic of a sick girl in the ER, how a smile can change the world, what two little hands feel and sound like...the list goes on and on, but my favorite thing that I have learned is how one tiny soul can have my whole heart.

As I ponder the experiences we have had with our sweet Hailey there are things I hope to never forget. I never want to forget what it feels like to hold my baby in my arms, to have her lay her head on my shoulder and fall asleep, to feel her soft breath on my neck and hold her body against mine. I never want to forget the sound of her voice as she "talks" in the morning trying to get mommy and daddy out of bed to come and get her. I never want to forget the smile we are rewarded with when she sees  us open her door and we rescue her from her crib or how she pats our backs for hugs. I never want to forget how her hair hangs in her eyes. I never want to forget how independent she already wants to be. I never want to forget her facial expressions; Hailey has a beautiful smile but she can pout her lips and wrinkle her nose. I never want to forget the feeling of Hailey blowing raspberries on my bare skin and the giggle that follows or how she "gets" mommy and daddy. I never want to forget the sound of her laugh as she giggles with delight to be tickled or playing with her favorite toy. I never want to forget the sounds she makes when she eats; when she takes a bite of food she gets a growl in her throat and says MMM or when she wants a toy and finally gets it she say ha, ha. I never want to forget how happy she is and how she waves to everyone. I never want to forget how it sounds to hear her say mama, mama and knock on my door while I work.

No comments: