Saturday, August 30, 2014

69 days

Ben and I were so grateful to find out that we would be expecting our second little one in December. A little boy!

Throughout this pregnancy we have experienced a lot of changes in our world. In December of 2013 we started an addition on our house that was supposed to be completed in April of is August and it still isn't done...just a couple of more weeks...or at least that is what I keep hearing.

Hailey and I moved out and live with Scott and Carri. We took Rachelle too. For six months (1/4 of Hailey's life) she has lived without her daddy and not in her home.

I have experienced bleeding throughout this pregnancy. Ultrasounds found that the placenta was very low and that was the most likely reason for the bleeding. On Tuesday, August 26th I didn't think much of it when I started to bleed again. The following day I had an appointment with my doctor and she did an office ultrasound. I was very grateful to see the fluttering heart of our little man and to hear his heart beat so strong. My doctor sent me for an ultrasound just to check things out and they discovered that the previous days bleeding was actually my water breaking at 24.3 weeks.

So much changed in that instant, hearing that news and knowing I was hardly far enough along to have this sweet little man survive sent me into an emotional tail spin. The doctor explained the concerns with having my water break so early and having a baby this soon. The doctor completed more tests and ultimately talked to my OB. In the end I was sent to Labor and Delivery and told to check into the hospital and that I wouldn't leave until I delivered this baby.

In Labor and Delivery more tests were completed and gratefully found that I was not in labor and had not dilated. They hooked me up to monitors and started pumping drugs to help me and the baby. Steroids for his lungs, magnesium for his brain and antibiotics to fight infection.

The next 24 hours raced by talking to doctors. If the baby is born tonight there is a 70% chance of survival and a 50/50 chance of significant problems that will affect the rest of his life; blindness, deafness, cerebral palsy, learning disabilities, bleeding on the brain. Gratefully, 24 hours passed and my body did not go into labor and I am still pregnant.

Ben and Nate were able to give me a Priesthood blessing that night and my testimony was strengthened. I am so grateful for the power of the Priesthood and a knowledge that the words are coming from our Heavenly Father. I know that our Heavenly Father puts nothing in our paths that he will not help us accomplish. I know that no matter what happens for the remainder of this pregnancy that it is in our Heavenly Father's hands and this is His will.

My goal is to stay pregnant until 34 weeks. 69 days from the time I checked into the hospital. Each and every day I am grateful to say that I am still pregnant. Although it will be a long road in this hospital room I know that this is the best place to be to give this little man the best chance of survival and the best possible healthy future.

1 comment:

Jill said...

We are praying for you and your family.
Love Jill and Eric and kids